Tuesday, April 26, 2005

More Soul Than I Can Control

Recently, I heard from a friend that her young children (one aged seven and a pair of four-year-old twins) have been requesting that she play my special mix CD, made to mark a milestone birthday. It contains songs that trace my musical taste, from childhood to present, and the kids are very fond of Todd Rundgren's "Bang The Drum All Day." I asked her how she managed to deal with Ian Dury's "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll," and she said they skip over that one. "All I need is for Nicholas to burst out with THAT one in school!"

I think it would be very educational for NikNik to learn and perform that song! Reminds me of a time in nursery school, when we were all seated in a circle and asked to sing our favorite song. All the little losers were singing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and "The Farmer in the Dell." Me? I burst out with my rendition of the Four Tops' "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" and was humiliated by the teacher, who told me it was not a song. "It is so! I hear it on the radio, and my parents have the record!" I ceased being one of the favorites at that moment. Oh well. At least I had soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home