Monday, December 13, 2004

"The Life and Death of Peter Sellers"

This made-for-HBO movie bio was given major thumbs-down in every review I read, but as a "Pink Panther" fan with some general knowledge of Sellers' life, I taped it anyway. And I'm glad I did.

Casting of the three best-known characters in the movie was superb. Geoffrey Rush turned in a stellar performance as Peter Sellers. He became the man. (If you wonder why I referred to myself as a "Pink Panther" fan rather than a "Peter Sellers" fan, it's because, after watching this movie, I realized I have not seen enough of his work. The breadth of the roles he played is just astounding.) John Lithgow played director Blake Edwards, and from what I know of Edwards, Lithgow's portrayal was on the mark. Charlize Theron was breathtaking as Swedish sexpot Britt Ekland, the best-known of Sellers' wives.

I think the reviews were so scathing because of the segments where Sellers/Rush would speak/dress as one of the influential persons in his life. Okay, it was a cheesy device, but the movie was so much more than those few annoying bits. From this movie, I learned how Sellers made the transition from radio to film, and also that there are several movies of his that I must see: "The Mouse That Roared" (for which he received the Bafta award for best actor, the British equivalent of the Oscar), "Dr. Strangelove," and "Being There."

I've not liked most of Rush's movies, but he got my respect with his uncanny performance as Peter Sellers. It's definitely worth seeing. HBO will probably release it on DVD/VHS next year, and I hope they do, as it would be a shame to deny non-HBO subscribers the pleasure of seeing this biography. If it's not released, I'll sic Inspector Clouseau on them!

1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Hopster said...

UPDATE, 12/14/04
The Golden Globe nominees have been announced and among them are Geoffrey Rush, Charlize Theron, and Emily Watson (who played Sellers' first wife) for their performances in "The Life and Death of Peter Sellers."

I'll stop preening soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home