Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I Love Paris In The Springtime...

Truth is, I love Paris in the Fall, Winter, and Summer, too. However, since I don't live there, I'm happily settling for my lovely little neighborhood and all it has to offer. Except for the pollen. I developed an allergy to allergens about three years ago, and I'm really suffering these days.
Regardless, I have brought the patio furniture out of the shed and onto its rightful place in the back yard. The grill's been fired up on more than one occasion -- even had a dinner guest last week for yummy burgers -- and I've been stocking the freezer with steaks, my special hamburgers, and pork chops in barbecue sauce. Next, a trip to the Booze-A-Rama to lay in a variety of imported and craft beers, and I'm practically set for the grilling/chilling season.

I am so looking forward to spending time out back that I have even planned to pull what appear to be weeds sprouting up between the patio squares (or whatever those brick-like thingies are called). No one could ever accuse me of being a gardener, but I learned quite a few things from Patricia, my favorite relative and quite the country squire. I know what hostas are, and mine have begun to sprout leaves. Hydrangeas, too, plus Rose of Sharon and forsythia. The ivy is nicely covering the fence and the rose branches are looking dangerously sharp. All I need to do (after clearing out those weed-like growths) is plant some impatiens in the window box and I'm set. Maybe I'll get reckless and try to grow some of my favorite herbs, like rosemary. I'd plant catnip for the furry roommates, but there are several outdoor cats in the 'hood, and I'm afraid I'd start some problems with that. We'd have to have Phoenix House come and do a Kitty Outreach or something. Nope, bad idea.

Last year's big project was shed replacement and landscaping/fence repair. This year, I've decided to have a security light installed, one that I can also use for illumination while grilling/entertaining after dusk. I've located an outdoor outlet that a professional electrician can use to hardwire some kind of lighting system. And the patio furniture needs a coat of white Rustoleum, so I'll get to that soon.

The best part of all this, of course, will be the social aspect. I love grilling for friends, sharing great food along with quality beer, wine and homemade iced tea. I'll be sure to make some special summertime mix CDs to enhance the back yard experience, but will ensure that they're played at a reasonable volume so as not to disturb the neighbors (some of whom will already be hanging in the yard!). It doesn't get much better than this. Well, perhaps in Paris...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home