Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Decorating Frenzy

Not my usual pasttime, but a necessary task, due to the fact that I had a horrible roof leak which resulted in the destruction of my bathroom wallpaper (and a good portion of the walls). Management finally completed the repairs and painting, and my bathroom now has bright white walls (oil-based Benjamin Moore paint to combat mold/mildew; it's been nearly a week and the paint still reeks). The rest of the walls have lovely yellow tiles halfway up and more so in the shower/bath area. I decided to build on my mother's shell collection and create a sand/beach/surf theme, and found the perfect shower curtain at Bed, Bath and Beyond (it's been discontinued there, so the price was great, but Linens n Things carries the whole collection under the "Surf's Up!" name). It has surfboards, Woody Wagons, sand and seashells, so there are a lot of things I can do. I plan to get some glass shelves to display shells and a model Woody Wagon sent by a friend (as well as some perfume bottles -- some things never change) and am on the prowl for a small surfboard or two to hang on the other wall. A large glass jar -- catproof -- of my mother's shells now sits atop the toilet tank, and a coordinating rug covers part of the white tiled floor. (If I can find a small surfboard-shaped rug, the other one's history!)

One thing I found particularly amusing about this venture was that on St. Patrick's Day, I called creative P to ask for tips/hints. She had just finished a SPD breakfast with friends that had featured Guinness. What's wrong with this picture, I asked -- you're having an Irish breakfast and I'm calling for bathroom decorating help! Something is very mixed up here.

If I get really ambitious, I'll have to frame a Beach Boys album cover or 45 (remember them?) and then my fate will be sealed: P will sign me up for a subscription to "Martha Stewart Living." It has been threatened before, this may finally do it. Yikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home