Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Rose Is Off The View

A few days prior to her self-imposed "deciding deadline" of May 1, Rosie O'Donnell has announced that she could not come to terms with ABC on her contract. They wanted three years, she only one. TMZ.com reported that she will make frequent appearances next season, but will not be a regular.

Roseanne Barr put it best when she told Rosie that she'd brought a new level of intelligence to the always-lively "Hot Topics" discussions (in fact, most days devote three instead of the customary two segments to "Hot Topics," as they've become incendiary).

If Rosie shows up fairly regularly, I'll continue to tape and watch, but will have to make a judgement on that depending on how the program is reworked. Perhaps her spot will be filled by one of the guest hosts (I vote for Sherry Springfield; she's terrific) and O'Donnell can become sort of a permanent guest host. I could live with that.

Naturally, there are rumors that she may undertake another show altogether. She's been getting lots of emails raving about her video blogs, which also feature her hairdresser and producer. Her responses to questions about that have been extremely positive.

Nevertheless, I will miss watching, listening and learning from this wise and witty woman. She's made me think, made me angry (mostly about the current administration and this illegal war in Iraq), made me laugh, and managed to introduce me to a couple of Broadway shows I might not have otherwise seen.

Rosie, you gave it your all, and always gave your true view. I thank you for this past year of magical thinking. You done good, kid. Now it's time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the view from Nyack and Miami...until your next project. Bless you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home