Friday, May 04, 2007

"Health, health, health, darling..."

That was one of many of my favorite lines spouted by Edina (Jennifer Saunders) Monsoon on "Absolutely Fabulous." It was especially funny considering she did the exact opposite as far as her own health was concerned. Along with best pal Patsy, she chain smoked, drank like an aquarium of fish, did whatever drugs were readily available, and so forth. Patsy once stole a case of Champagne from a store and claimed that she did it because she was an alcoholic, so it wasn't really a crime. The two of them were the '90s British version of Lucy and Ethel.

I went to the doctor the other day, concerned about some gastrointestinal distress I'd been experiencing, and was given a battery of tests. Amazingly, I passed all with flying colors. Ultrasound showed a strong and healthy heart, confirmed by an EKG and some kind of breathing test. The blood results came in today, and doc said, "Everything's great! Even your cholesterol is 180! See you in six months!" So, this distress is not the result of something more serious, which is a good thing, and can be treated with OTCs. And reduced stress (yeah, right).

This was especially puzzling to me, as health has not always been on my top ten list. However, I am working with a trainer once a week, who has also been consulting with me about the food that I eat. I have added things like red and pink kidney beans to my diet and cut back on fried foods, which do not agree with my guts. (Sadly, I recently found out that White Castle cheeseburgers are no longer my friends...talk about gastro distress!) I have never even tried a cigarette (eww, that smell), take only prescription and OTC drugs, and stick mostly to red wine, so perhaps that all has worked in my favor. I am the embodiment of the French Red Wine Paradox!

Frankly, the only thing that is skewed is my weight, but one can be both overweight and healthy. One thing at a time. Right now, the most important numbers are all good, so that's what matters most. Other numbers can be gradually dealth with.

So, tonight I will celebrate with a fine steak from Ottomanelli's and a lovely bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon! Here's to health!

1 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home