Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Love Me Some Osmonds

Yes, I admit it. I was a major Osmond fan back in the day (early 70s), and remain so to this day. They represent a more innocent time, in my life and certainly in this country. I am thrilled that I grew up with them, rather than what preteens are exposed to these days. No contest.

I've also been thrilled that Marie Osmond was one of the competitors on this season's "Dancing With The Stars," a show I love. To make it even better, she's done very well, and still remains in the final five out of the original 12 or 13. That could change tonight, but my fingers are crossed. A week ago today, family patriarch, George Osmond, passed away at the age of 90, the day after Marie and her professional dance partner, Jonathan, performed a 40s-style dance tribute to her parents (she even wore her mother's hairstyle!). Somehow, and I don't know how they got through it, the entire family flew to Chicago on Thursday to tape a segment of Oprah that had been in the works for months. Marie's parents had nine children, who had 55 children, who had 48 grandchildren. All of them were there except for the parents of this incredible family. (The funeral was held on Friday, and the emotions and logistics of it all just amaze me...then again, they are an amazing family.)

It was magical. I had found out about it that morning, and alerted Benny, who recorded it onto DVD. The show started with Donny and Marie trading songs, as they'd done on their late 70s variety show. They then had separate segments with Oprah. Then the Osmond Brothers sang, Marie and Jonathan danced, and all of the 100+ Osmonds closed the show with "May Tomorrow Be A Perfect Day," in tribute to George Osmond. (Throughout the program, old film clips of the performing Osmonds were shown, which really took me back.) In fact, when asked how they could have managed not to cancel the appearance on Oprah, the family's collective response was that it was what their father/grandfather/greatgrandfather would have wanted.

I'm not going to go into more detail about the show except to say it moved me to tears on more than one occasion. It brought back lots of wonderful memories. The performing Osmonds will be embarking on a 50th anniversary tour of England next year, and I called Benny to tell him that if they come to New York, we're going. No question. There came a time in my youth when it was embarassing to admit you were an Osmond fan, but I no longer care. They're up there with The Police, The Who, Elvis Costello, and everyone else I love. There's no shame in appreciating great performers...and good people.

Tonight we'll find out if Marie survived the dance competition this week. I'm pulling for her, of course, and even signed in online to give her some extra votes last night. This woman has eight kids, just pulled off a major appearance on Oprah, buried her father, and learned two new dances, all in one week. Did I mention she's 48 years old? Oh, and that she CAN dance? I don't think she'll make it to the finals, but this lady has my vote. All of them, in fact. And so does her entire family,

I feel very blessed to have the Osmond family still performing and making people happy. May they continue to be blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home