Wednesday, December 15, 2004

The Next James Bond?

Now that Pierce Brosnan's negotiations with EON Productions, the company that has the Bond franchise, have come to an end, the question is: who will fill his formidable shoes? I can't believe that Barbara Broccoli (daughter of original Bond producer, Harry) and her husband, Michael G. Wilson (who got his start as a Bond writer, then producer) would not do whatever was necessary to keep him. He's still young, rugged and virile enough (early 50s) to continue for at least two more films. Roger Moore was Bond when I started seeing the movies, so I hold a soft spot for him in my heart, but he really was pushing the envelope by the time he made his last appearance in the series, in "View To A Kill." He was OK in long shots, but close-ups were...painful. He was still a handsome man, but a bit long in the tooth to play Bond. His replacement, Timothy Dalton, nearly killed the Bond franchise (and that's not just me talking, that's a quote, but I can't remember to whom it should be attributed). Pierce Brosnan took over in 1995 in "Goldeneye," and was terrific. The irony of the whole thing is that he should have taken over when Moore retired. At the time, he was starring in "Remington Steele" for the NBC network, and was offered the role of Bond. NBC, seeing what a hot property they had, refused to let him out of his contract for the tv show. EON ended up with Timothy Dalton and "Remington Steele" didn't make it onto the next primetime schedule. It was cancelled, thus creating a double whammy for Brosnan and EON. Not to mention Bond fans like myself.

Before going further, I guess I should disclose that I am pretty much a Bond fanatic. My first cell phone was the horribly overpriced Ericsson model that came with a couple of Bond-type accessories and was not worth the extra expense. I own the soundtracks (both on LP and CD), the books, books about the character/films, all the movies (first on VHS, now on DVD), and have some framed posters in my office. Through the kindness of a friend, I attended the "Goldeneye" world premiere at Radio City Music Hall in November 1995, where not only did I have a VIP screening, but the chance to see the cast appear onstage, bantering with each other, before the film was shown. A most memorable evening.

So now that Brosnan has decided not to re-sign with EON, a bunch of possible replacements have been named in the press. The one that most disturbs me is Jude Law. He may be People's Sexiest Man of the Year, but he hardly raises the temperature on my thermometer. No, no, no. Pierce Brosnan has suggested Colin Farrell, but I think he's a tad too young at this time (and doesn't seem interested). I choked when I read that Eric Bana ("The Incredible Hulk" movie) was being considered, but thawed slightly after seeing him in "Troy." However, he was recently quoted in New York magazine, and his reaction to his possible casting was NOT positive. (Fool.) Hugh Jackman would probably welcome the role, but I just can't see him as Bond. Rupert Everett joked with the folks at New York, saying, "Well, you KNOW why they won't ask ME!" Yeah, I guess the world isn't ready for a gay James Bond.

Who should be the next man to carry a Walther-PPK? I've wracked my brain and so far have come up with only one name: Ewan McGregor. He's handsome, looks good in and out of a tux, and has a nice accent. OK, he's younger than the average Bond, but I'll allow it. (Hugh Grant came to mind briefly, but he's not edgy enough. Liam Neeson is too strong a presence to step into the character.) If you saw "Trainspotting," you know McGregor can be dodgy. In "Little Voice," he was sweet and charming. His versatility was showcased in "Moulin Rouge," and his physicality in the "Star Wars" prequel. In "Down With Love," McGregor demonstrated a flair for light comedy and wore a tux very easily. (He probably drank martinis in that one as well!).

Ewan McGregor has my vote for casting as the next James Bond, but I'd love to hear your ideas. Please post them, and when I have enough, I'll write about this again. In this case I'd prefer to be stirred, not shaken.

2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to weigh in on the Bond discussion as I was thinking of it only this morning in the car. I don't come to the table as a huge Bond fan. I love all the Sean Connery movies (rrowl) but haven't gotten into much of the newer stuff. Pierce Brosnan SO doesn't do it for me.

I'm Colin Farrell's biggest fan (not in a scary way..really) but he's no Bond. I'm iffy on Ewan - I appreciate him as a choice but I think he could use more sex appeal. I settled on Jude Law. I think he wraps up finesse and style and could bring a dangerous element. Mm, sexy.

Dayna (the Fashion Police)

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in black mourning the loss of Pierce Brosnan. He brought back a dangerous sex appeal to Bond. Dalton although handsome enough just didn't have an edge. He was a Ken doll, attractive, but plastic. Ewan McGreggor is an interesting suggestion, my only vote against him (and this will probably seem silly) is that he has skinny chicken legs. He polished up nicely in "Down with Love". I agree he looked great in a tux, but when he was getting dressed the legs were a turn-off. Or perhaps it was just the black sock garters. Anyway with a little physical training I'm sure he can pull off the role of Bond.

Now this might seem like it's coming from left field but how about John Cusack? Ok, lots of people think of him as just a teen-angst actor, but think of "Grosse Pointe Blank" where he played a hit-man, or how good he looked in a tux in "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" (speaking of which wouldn't Kevin Spacey make an excellent Bond villan?) I don't know if he can pull off the accent, his persona may be too American to convincingly do the British thing. John Cusak's characters always have some underlying tension or turtured soul, behind the adventure and romantic romps, Bond does have a turtured soul. Ah, the Bond women...the short fall of casting John Cusak as Bond may be his (film) history of losing with the ladies until the final act. We want a Bond to be carving notches on the bed post.

I also like the idea of Hugh Jackman. I have lots of ideas about Hugh Jackman but I don't want to hijack Karen's blog.
-KNavin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home