Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Greatest Kids in the World

Those who know me well know that I usually prefer to spend time with adults over kids. I do not turn to mush when presented with a baby. When they are at an age when they can speak and be reasoned with, my attitude softens. Especially if they're nicely behaved. Call me a Grinch, call me what you will, but that's simply the way I am. Of course there are exceptions, but none so exceptional as the children of Katy and Scott.

Scott's my twin, but that's not the reason why their kids are so spectacular (well, maybe a teensy bit...). The simple fact of the matter is that Karl, Shannon and Mary Elizabeth have been raised properly, with a lot of love, a fair amount of discipline (more than most these days), and a lot of respect. They are well behaved and polite, but even the most well behaved kids can sometimes be...well, kids. However, a quick look or a word from one of their parents, and they toe the line. Immediately. They know what will and what will not be tolerated. (Heck, they even listen to me!)

Katy and Scott have also created an ideal environment for their children. They supervise homework, practicing of various music lessons, and so much more. Total involvement with the kids. All accomplished with a lot of love. Believe me, it shows.

The kids had their Winter Piano Recital a couple of weeks ago, and I was there with bells on. Third year in a row. That in itself should be an indicator of how special these kids (and their parents) are to me. Naturally, they were the most talented in the bunch, and I enjoyed hearing how their piano skills have improved. After helping their teacher (also a family friend) clean up, we all went out to dinner (thanks, Scott!). It should be no surprise after having read this far that all three kids were a pleasure to dine with, unlike so many of those horror shows you see when some families dine out in public. Now that the kids are getting older, it's possible for them to have overnight visits with trusted relatives and friends. Karl will be coming to my place soon, and I plan to take him for his first meal at The Cheesecake Factory (he loves cheesecake!), and then hang out, exploring other common interests, like trumpet playing. I have lots of music to introduce him to, and a DVD or two I'm sure he'd enjoy watching. We'll have a fine time, and I'm looking forward to it.

This family will never need the help of Jo "Supernanny" Frost. In fact, I bet she would learn a few things if she spent a few days with them. I know she'd be impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home