Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Freakin' Christmas

Another year, another Christmas. I enjoy parts of it, but lay wasted by others. I am delighted that the shopping is over, and the wrapping completed, even for the folks I exchange with after the holidays.

I spent Christmas Eve, as I always do, with my friends, the Mocklers, and their huge extended family. They are amazing. I always say that they are such a pleasure to hang out with, as they are one of the few families I know that genuinely enjoy spending time with each other. Some family members try to tell me I'm wrong, that they're dysfunctional. Uh-uh. That would be MY family!

We spent Christmas Eve just enjoying each others' company, along with the wonderful food produced by the clan. I really should have been born Italian. There was so much love in the house, even more when I found out that daughter Michelle was expecting baby number two. Everyone is so affectionate, and I just love being with them.

I finally remembered to bring along something I've promised for years. This is a hard one, so follow me: Patty's brother-in-law, Kevin, was once married to a girl, Eileen, with whom I went to elementary and junior high school. They divorced, and I never really saw Eileen again, but I always saw her kids on Christmas Eve. I kept promising to bring our junior high yearbook, and finally remembered to do so this year. Unfortunately, son Kevin Jr. was out snowboarding in Lake Tahoe, but her daugher, Keira, was thrilled to see the yearbook. Her older brother took a picture of her photo in the yearbook and emailed it to Keira's computer so she could torture her mom with it today. Truth be told, my photo was worse, but I'm not the one being tortured!

Today, Christmas, was pretty easy. I spent the night waking up with the beginnings of a cold, but managed to knock most of it out with Airborne. I then went to my Aunt Judy's and saw her family. They came with me to my grandmother's house, where we had the traditional Christmas dinner, including the Swedish meatballs I made (with pal Marna) last week. I also enjoyed the traditional frozen caramel chocolate candy fight with some of my relatives. It was a short evening, but that was good. I am a bit tired and look forward to spending the last few moments of Christmas with my furry fiends, um, friends. Cousin Christine bought them a stocking filled with catnip, and they immediately found it when I unloaded the car. I'm hoping that will make them sleep through the night. Actually, they will probably have kitty munchies and will pester me for food earlier than usual. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home