Friday, January 14, 2005

I (heart) Oprah

I often tape television programs so I can zap through them without watching the commercials; even when I'm at home, for later viewing. There are two daytime dramas that I watch on tape regularly, and every now and then, I'll pause at a commercial. Usually it's for that day's Oprah Winfrey program.

Of course, by the time I'm watching the tape, that Oprah show has come and gone. Tired of kicking myself (and of being black-and-blue), I got the bright idea to add an hour to my daily taping. If the show doesn't interest me that day, I skip it.

Here's the problem: Oprah is so damn good. She's looking great, has interesting guests on the show, and just seems like such a down-to-earth, likeable person. Plus, she's a talented interviewer. I watched the two days featuring Scott Peterson-ex Amber Frey, promoting her book and answering questions about her sociopathic former lover, and was enthralled. Not because of Frey, but because she was such a lousy interview. She'd reportedly performed beautifully when on the stand at Peterson's trial, and convinced many in the jury that he was guilty, but she sure fell apart on Oprah's stage. (Had Oprah been one of the lawyers cross-examining Frey, the case would have been dismissed.) Pro that she is, Oprah used every bit of interviewing skill she has (which is considerable), quoting from specific pages of Frey's book in order to exact some form of response from the woman. Oprah comes prepared (it's rumored that many talk show hosts don't always do their homework, sometimes to the point where they haven't read the book that their guest is touting), which saved the day for all, including the studio and viewing audience.

Some years back, probably about the time that Phil Donohue wore a dress on his program, Oprah decided that she was going to focus on stories that mattered, not based on their shock value for the sake of ratings. I don't think she's veered from that standpoint. She's increased sales of new and classic books with her "Oprah's Book Club," raised consciousness about things from disease to victimization, and educated her audience. Oprah has an easy, natural rapport with strangers and celebrities alike, and it shows.

I may not have time or inclination to watch every program, but I admire and respect Oprah Winfrey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home