Thursday, January 13, 2005

Rediscovering Susan Isaacs

Back in my college days, I was turned on to a very funny debut novel by fellow Long Islander Susan Isaacs, called "Compromising Positions." It was so fresh, with witty dialogue, an engrossing "whodunit," and a spicy affair, and I loaned it to many a dorm mate. Someone in Hollywood obviously agreed, as it was made into a movie starring Susan Sarandon, Raoul Julia, Joe Mantegna, Joan Allen (in her first feature film), and the wonderful Judith Ivey. One of those rare times when the movie and the book are both good. (Olivia Goldsmith's "The First Wives Club" comes immediately to mind. Unfortunately, Goldsmith -- whom I considered on a par with Isaacs -- died last year while undergoing plastic surgery.)

After her initial success, Isaacs wrote several more novels, movies and non-fiction works before bringing back the character of Judith Singer, introduced 23 years previously in "Compromising Positions," in a sequel, "Long Time No See." Sequels are often difficult to pull off, largely because they're always compared to the original and sometimes fall short, but this one worked. Judith Singer and other surviving characters were still witty and engaging, and a pleasure to spend time with. Call me greedy, but I'm hoping for a third installment!"

Almost Paradise" was Isaacs' third novel and one I've returned to more than once. It's a great story, with interesting characters and situations. If memory serves, it was going to be made into a mini-series or movie, but nothing ever came of that. Her next book, "Shining Through," was a spy story set during World War II, and did make it to the screen, starring Melanie Griffith and Michael Douglas. The film was so-so, but the story was great. I was recently confined to home with a nasty cold, so I was able to catch up on many of the new books I'd purchased. When I got bored with that, I looked through my bookcases and came upon "Shining Through." I'm about 3/4 through it (going back to work has sort of cramped my leisure time style), and loving every minute.

Do yourself a favor and pick up copies of "Compromising Positions," "Almost Paradise," "Shining Through" and "Long Time No See." You will be glad that you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home