Wednesday, January 19, 2005

More Bondage

No, it's not a plea, just a different way to say "UPDATE." According to AOL, London bookmakers have set odds on who will be the next actor to play James Bond. Hugh Jackman leads, with 2-1 odds. My boy Ewan McGregor comes in second, with 7-2 odds (which I guess translates to 3-1/2 to 1 odds). Now in third place is Clive Owen, at 4-1 odds. He was originally given 8-1, but his odds improved after his Golden Globe win for Best Supporting Actor, in "Closer."

I wasn't overjoyed with "Closer," but did note that Owen displayed a few of the attributes needed to play 007. If memory serves, he was in "King Arthur" recently, which would mean he could handle the physical part of being Bond. He's also tall, dark and handsome. And very intense.

Of these three actors, I still prefer McGregor overall, but Owen moves into second place, ahead of Jackman. Admittedly, I've only seen Jackman in light comedies, so this may be unfair to him. Perhaps his "X-Men" and "Van Helsing" movies could sway me, but I have no interest in seeing any of them. I heard he was great on Broadway, starring in "The Boy From Oz," and I did see him host the Tony Awards, looking good in a tux and singing rather nicely (that latter talent not being necessary for Bond, who hasn't sung since Sean Connery warbled a few bars of "Underneath The Mango Tree" in "Dr. No."). Maybe if he bulked up a bit...but I don't think that would be enough to get my vote.

I sure wish someone from EON Productions would read my blog! (In an ideal world, they would then offer me a job with their company. That would be sweet.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home